o Financial Protection: Health insurance helps protect you from the high costs of medical care. It covers a significant portion of your medical expenses, including doctor visits, hospital stays, surgeries, and prescription medications. Without insurance, these costs can quickly add up and put a strain on your finances.
o Access to Quality Healthcare: With health insurance, you have access to a network of healthcare providers. This means you can choose from a wide range of doctors, specialists, hospitals, and clinics. You can receive the care you need without worrying about finding the right healthcare provider or paying out-of-pocket for expensive services.
o Preventive Care:Health insurance encourages preventive care, such as regular check-ups, vaccinations, and screenings. These preventive services can help detect and treat health issues early on, preventing them from becoming more serious and costly in the future. It's all about staying proactive and taking care of your health.
o Peace of Mind:Having health insurance gives you peace of mind. You know that you're covered in case of unexpected accidents or illnesses. It reduces the financial burden and allows you to focus on your recovery without worrying about the cost of medical treatment.
o Additional Benefits: Many health insurance plans offer additional benefits like wellness programs, mental health services, and maternity care. These extra perks can further support your overall well-being and provide you with comprehensive healthcare coverage.
Well Being Shiksha Foundation Message:
o Remember, health insurance is not just for when you're sick or injured. It's a proactive step towards taking care of your health and ensuring that you have the necessary resources to stay healthy. So, make sure to explore different health insurance options and choose a plan that suits your needs and budget.
What is Covered in a Health Insurance Plan?
Most health insurance companies in India cover the following medical expenses under a health insurance policy:
· In-patient Hospitalization Expenses -The hospitalization expenses incurred during the treatment of an illness or injury are covered provided the hospitalization is for more than 24 hours.
· Pre-existing Illnesses or Diseases - After the completion of the waiting period, you can file a claim for the expenses incurred on the treatment of any pre-existing illness or condition.
· Pre and Post Hospitalization Expenses - Medical expenses incurred on blood tests, x-ray, and other medical check-ups that are required before hospitalization is taken care of by the insurance company. Similarly, the cost of medicines and preventive health check-ups that are done to ascertain your health after the discharge from the hospital is covered under the health insurance plan.
· Ambulance Charges - Although the coverage amount varies from insurer to insurer, most medical insurance plans cover emergency ambulance charges.
· Maternity Cover - Medical expenses incurred during the pregnancy and delivery are covered along with newborn baby expenses.
· Preventive Health Check-ups - Regular health check-up facilities are also made available in some health insurance plans in India.
· Day-care Procedures - Daycare treatments where hospitalization is not required for more than 24 hours are covered. It includes eye surgery, dialysis, and other common daycare surgeries as mentioned in your policy document.
· Home Treatment Cover - It also covers the expenses incurred on getting medical treatment at home on the advice of a medical practitioner.
· AYUSH Benefit - A health insurance plan also reimburses the medical costs incurred on Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, or Homeopathy treatment up to a specified limit.
· Mental Healthcare Cover –All health plans in India cover mental illnesses as per the Mental Healthcare Act, 2017. IRDAI has directed all insurers to amend health policies to cover the treatment of mental illnesses, like acute depression, bipolar affective disorder, schizophrenia, etc. by 31st October 2022.
For further information refer to IRDAI website https://irdai.gov.in/
Well Being Shiksha Foundation